An Interview with Carla Ballou Of CBArtistry Official

 "Seek to understand and then be understood" - Steven Covey

Carla Ballou of CBArtistry, is an upcoming makeup artist.  She had been on the business side for approximately 15 years. Two years ago, she decided to become creative and went to school and became a certified Makeup Artist. She took several Master Classes with Melissa Hibbert and Sam Fine. Currently she she working on her own lipsticks and lash line.

What was your motivation to start your own business?
I always wanted to be an Entrepreneur.  My grandmother and grandfather owned their own businesses so I grew up learning.  When I started working in the corporate world and leading multi-billion dollar organizations I realized I could do it for myself.  So I look a leap of faith. 


Walk me through the first few steps you took to get to where you are today.
I went to school and took many classes on Makeup and skincare.  Since I already have an MBA and know the business side it was just a matter of melding the two together to make a business.  I had to figure out how to market to make myself unique.  That was the hardest part especially when you live in the city of angels and so many makeup artist(s).  You have to be able to set yourself apart.

Tell me about a project or accomplishment that you consider to be the most significant in your career and why.
I took a leap and designing lashes for the woman that has the most curliest lashes and has a hard time wearing faux lashes. Everything ends with the lash so why shouldn't everyone wear them?  This will be my best accomplishment yet.  Second to that, just going back to school to become a makeup artist.  Everyone in my class were in their twenties and thirties. Here I am in my late forties at the time and the only woman of color in the class.  Now that was a great accomplishment.

If we circle back here a year from now celebrating what a great year it’s been for you in this role, what would you have achieved?  
I would have released my lash and lip line for all women of color.  Started my new YouTube channel that includes (cooking, wine, fashion and makeup).  Selling to the masses and flying all over the world doing hair, makeup, styling with my own brand.
Did you enjoy learning about Carla and her journey to become a MUA? What else would you like to know about Carla? Comment below.

Facebook: @cbartisrtyofficial
Instagram: @cbartisrtyofficial 
Youtube: @cbartistryofficial

Comments