An Interview with Dr. Donna Oriowo, LICSW, M.Ed of AnnodRight

Dr. Oriowo is a speaker, clinician and sexual educator and therapist. She owns and leads therapist of AnnodRight, a mental health and sex education practice located in Maryland, but serving the Washington, DC metro area. With a focus on sex and sexuality, especially for people of color, AnnodRight offers indiviual therapy for the millennial Black super woman who wants to work on self-esteem, anxiety and depression as it relates to sex and sexuality.



 What was your motivation to start your own business
My motivation to staring my business was knowing that I didn’t see much out there that focused on sex and sexuality for women of color. I didn’t see many safe spaces to talk about how the Eurocentric beauty standards in the U.S. were negatively impacting women of color. I knew that I felt something was missing and I was done trying to pass of responsibility to someone else. I went into business for me also because I want my freedom. I don’t want the constraints of what this or that job tells me is my earning potential or selling my time hour by hour. This was the direction I was being pushed and pull in. I just had to learn to go with the journey and make my mark.

Walk me through some of the first few steps you took to get to where you are now.
Some of the first few steps I took were really reflective. Most people talk about going out and getting this or that thing done, but I know I needed to work on me first. I had a coach who helped me get to an entrepreneurial mindset, which included facing imposter syndrome and knowing that YES a Black women borne of immigrant parents can be successful in this country.
 What has been your biggest challenge so far?
My biggest challenge so far as been trying to create a schedule that honors not only my business but myself. I can get swept away in working and forget to take care of myself. But because being able to take care of me is part of my WHY for having this business, I am making it a priority this year.

How were you able to over come this challenge?
I am overcoming this issues by making myself a priority. I do goal plan coaching as part of my business model, so I am taking my own advice. I made a self care goal for myself and have placed it into a schedule.

If a young person walked up asking your advice and only had a few minutes, what would you tell them?
Advice I would give is to follow your passion, because money will usually follow you. Other than that, I would say that you should work on yourself first. Starting a business can feel like lonely work and you will spend lots of time with yourself and in your head. It is important to know your strengths, limitations, and various parts of your mindset to be successful.
To learn more on Dr. Oriowo and AnnodRight visit her website or follow her on:
Facebook: @AnnodRight
Instagram: @AnnodRight
Twitter: @AnnodRight

What questions do you wish I would have asked?

Comments