An Interview With DeJonna Rakosky of No More Shades

Dejonna Rakosky runs a community organization called No More Shades. It originated in Baltimore with an organization called Beyond the Chair. Seeing the success they had there, she wanted to bring that to Ohio. She is in her second year running No More Shades. The company's mission is to provide resources and funding to help victims get out of their situation.




What was your motivation to start your own business?
I was in a domestic violence situation in the past and while I got out with no issues with is not the case for most. I have been through it and seen it happen it's a dangerous situation. I want to help others get out and build themselves back up.

Walk me through some of the first few steps you took to get to where you are today.
Social Media! I had an idea and others loved it! They came out and showed major support for the event we held. Social media was a huge help with this as it reached so many and continues to grow because of it. Myself, local photographers Richard Fishburn and Victoria Stanbridge and well as my good friend Susie Moore came together and made my dream a reality!

 What has been your biggest challenge so far?
Finding the best way to make this dream a reality.

How did you overcome this challenge?
Putting myself out there. Coming up with an idea and finding the best way to get into motion.

If a young person walked up asking your advice and only had a few minutes, what would you tell them?
Never feel your ideas are to small to make things happen. Stick with it and for those who support you just know that is where it starts. Stay true to your cause and vision of your business. Don't let anyone make you feel you can't do it.
Want to learn more about Dejonna and No More Shades? Follow her:
Facebook: No More Shades
National Coalition Against Domestic Violence Page 

What questions do you wish I would have asked?

Comments